On October 8, 2019, I was asked to give my talk, “Be A Great Product Leader” to a huge audience at Amplify 2019, the product management conference organized by Amplitude.*
For those of you who have seen earlier renditions of this talk, this version was cut down to thirty minutes, and as a result has a subset of topics. All of the lessons in this talk started as blog posts:
- The Secret to Product Prioritization. Three Buckets
- Find the Heat. Don’t Be Afraid to Talk About Emotion.
- Einstein’s Razor. Make Things As Simple As Possible, But Not Simpler.
- Obsess About Your Non-Users. Growth Comes from Them.
- Solve the Product Maze Backwards. Think Back from the Future.
- Know Your Superpower. Product. Design. Engineering.
Over the past ten years, I’ve given versions of this talk at over twenty different companies and conferences, but there has never been shareable video of it. Fortunately, Amplitude captured the video and posted full video of all of their talks, including mine.
Product leadership continues to be a hot topic in the industry, and I hope that these lessons will help inspire more people to become great product leaders.
* Special thank you to Melinda Byerley for making the introduction!