There is so much interest in my personal finance posts that I’ve decided to collect the best posts here into a running index. This should hopefully help readers who are new to my blog, or who don’t want to sift through every article tagged with “Personal Finance”.
I’ll try to update this list at least semi-regularly. However, remember, for every up-to-the-minute post on Personal Finance, all you have to do is click here.
Last updated on 1/3/2017.
- Personal Finance for Engineers
- Personal Finance: How to Rebalance Your Portfolio
- Personal Finance: The Best Advice is from Saturday Night Live
Personal Finance Education Series
- 1. Recommended Magazines
- 2. Recommended Books
- 3. It All Starts with Saving
- 4. Setting Up an Emergency Fund
- 5. Diversification & Asset Allocation
529 College Savings Plans
Retirement Savings (IRAs, 401Ks)
- Thoughts on the Obama IRA
- Are We Over-Saving For Retirement?
- Books: Yes, You Can Still Retire Comfortably by Ben Stein & Phil DeMuth
- Roth IRA Loophole: Everyone Can Qualify in 2010
- Is There a Roth IRA & Roth 401K Paradox?
Employee Stock Plans
- In Defense of Repricing Stock Options
- Your Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP) is worth a lot more than 15%
- Refinancing? Try Pentagon Federal Credit Union (PFCU)
- Personal Finance: Refinancing a Residential Mortgage for 2011
- Beware of HELOC & 2nd Mortgage Traps on Refinancing
- Do You Know Where to Buy/Sell S&P/Case-Shiller Housing Index Derivatives?
- Apple, Cisco & Dow 15000
- Apple & Dow 15000 Update
- Understanding Deflation: Bonds Paying 0%
- Why the Price of Gold is Sinking Fast
- The Best Hedge for Crisis: Gold, Dollar or Both?
- Lessons from the Masters of Deflation
- The Incentives for Inflation Going Forward
- Accredited Investors: Fixing the Dumb Money Problem
- The Problem With Raising the Capital Gains Tax Now
- Parting Ways with Paul Krugman on Social Security
- Where No Fed Has Gone Before
- Investor Presentation for JPMorgan/Bear Stearns Deal @$270M
- Don’t Count Out the Fed
- The Subprime Primer in Stick Figures
- 2008 Economic Stimulus Tax Rebate Calculator
- Statistics Matter: Oil, Dollars, Euros & Gold
- Sub-Prime Mortgage Humor: The Richter Scales
- The Lessons of Long Term Capital Management (LTCM) and the Volatility of August 2007
- The New Inflation Protected Security: The 42 Cent Forever Stamp
- Don’t Panic About E*Trade
- Why Do Writers Get Residuals? (Writers’ Guild of America Strike)
- My First Job: Do You Know What a Dollar is Worth?
- Putting a Big Stock Market Drop in Perspective
- Do You Know the Rule of 72? Project Future Returns in Your Head.