The traffic to my blog from my first Fishville post has been staggering. How can I resist? That’s right, it’s time for Yet Another Fishville Post (YAFP). Come on, you know you want to read more…
I’ve been a little surprised to see how few accurate blog posts exist out on the web that break down the profit & experience for Fishville. Based on comments to my original post, I made some mistakes. As a result, I’m posting this follow up to help address the most common concerns:
- What about Level 5 (and 6 and 7…). I classify my charts based on the completion of levels, which is a little confusing because in Fishville, your fish is “Level 1” until it completes the level, and then it is Level 2, etc. As a result, you don’t get the “Level 1” experience until your fish reaches Level 2. Confusing. Even more confusing, after completing Level 4, your fish can continue to go up levels… it just won’t be worth anything more. As a result, I ignore all levels above 4.
- Why doesn’t my experience number match yours? It’s because I’m including the experience you get from dropping the egg in the tank, not just the experience you get from harvesting.
- Level 4 doesn’t take the same time as the other levels. Oops. This is correct. I still don’t have accurate info on whether the “Level 4” time is the same for all fish (2 days) or different. For this post, I use the 2 day number, which changes the economics considerably. (Hint: It’s not worth your time to ever let this happen)
- Can you post a Google Doc of all your tables & charts? See the end of this post. First time for everything.
To recap, here are the assumptions for my tables & charts:
- I assume harvesting & buying fish is instantaneous. Yes, I know its not. Fodder for a future post.
- All profits are calculated per fish. Same with experience
- Total Experience = Experience from dropping egg + Experience from the level(s) of growth
- Total Profit = Revenue from harvesting the fist – Cost of the egg
In my last post, I described how your “profit per minute” increases with levels, but your “experience per minute” falls with levels. A lot of people didn’t understand this, so I decided to try some charts to illustrate.
Here is a chart I made in Google Docs showing the effect of increasing levels on Profit / Minute. Because there is a fixed cost to buying a new fish, the linear increase in profit per level helps your profit / minute. Of course, it falls off a cliff once you hit Level 4, and it takes up to 2 days to complete.
This means that, from a profit per minute perspective, it’s better to let your fish grow to complete Level 1, Level 2, and Level 3 before harvesting.
But there is a catch. Because you get XP every time to buy an egg, the effect on experience points per minute is the opposite. Every level you go, your experience points per minute drops! See this chart to visualize:
Based on the comments to my original blog post, it’s very obvious that most players continue to ignore the experience points you get for dropping an egg in your tank – choosing instead to focus only on the experience points you get when you harvest the fish. Big mistake, because this leads you to keep fish around too long.
Since my last post, I’ve also been able to complete my tables for all current fish.
Here is the profit table for Level 1 profits:
|Fish||Profit / L1||Minutes / L1||Profit / Minute|
|Mini Dart Goby||11||5||2.2|
|Red Spot Cardinal||23||15||1.53|
|Blue Green Chromis||46||180||0.26|
|Blue Hippo Tang||124||1080||0.11|
Here is the experience table for Level 1 experience. Note that I included the experience you get for dropping the egg, as well as the total experience you get for completing level 1. Remember, Total = Dropping Egg + Level XP:
|Fish||XP / Egg||XP / L1||Minutes / L1||XP / Minute|
|Mini Dart Goby||2||8||5||1.6|
|Red Spot Cardinal||4||16||15||1.07|
|Blue Green Chromis||12||60||180||0.33|
|Blue Hippo Tang||26||52||1080||0.05|
As promised, here is a link to the Google Doc with all my tables and charts. Please post additional info, corrections, or data in the comments below.
Updates: I’ve now posted additional columns on Fishville: